Best Diesel Engine Oil: Updated for 2022
The best diesel engine oil Full review
The engine is the heart of every machine or vehicle therefor, giving it a wrong oil could spell trouble or void your vehicle warranty. But how do we know which oil is the best diesel engine oil as there are so many different engine oils out there? And each of them is claiming to be the best in the market.
Don’t worry; we’ve interviewed the road masters and even pilots. We also collected customer reviews from different third parties. We compiled these reviews and listed the best diesel engine oil brands.
How do we review products and why you should trust us? We sometimes earn a little commission from our selected affiliate links at no extra cost to you. However, this does not compromise the quality of our reviews at all!.
In fact, most of our reviews are coming from different third party sources and here is how we do it.
Why do we need engine oil?
Diesel engines are likely to generate soot and byproducts from combustion. An engine oil is needed to treat the wear. Engine oil is also essential for lubrication and other functions of the vehicle.
Oil change intervals
There are two types of car owners. Those that change their car oil or do maintenance at the due date. And those who wait for the vehicle to break down on the road before they know something is wrong.
Most vehicles are equipped with indicators that tells you when it’s time to change your oil.
There are few things to keep in mind that will help you determine the right time to change your engine oil.
One thing you need to consider is the age of your vehicle. You also need to determine your driving conditions and the type of oil you use.
Therefore, the intervals in which you should change your oil varies greatly depending on the age of your vehicle, your driving conditions and the type of oil you use.
In those days, it was normal to change your engine oil every 3,000 miles. Thanks to modern Lubricants; many engines are now recommended to change oil after every 5,000 to 7,000 miles.
And again, it depends on the type of oil you use. If you are using a full-synthetic motor oil, you may go as far as 15,000 miles!
Cars are like humans; as they get older, their ability to move or function diminishes. Older cars need frequent checkups and services than new cars.
So it’s recommended you check or change your engine oil at least every 3,000 to 4,000 miles.
Types of engine oils and how they function.
The first type of engine oil on our list is called Synthetic oil. This brand is a man-made lubricant consist of a set of synthesized base oils that are mixed with additives.
This oil was developed in 1929. Synthetic engine oil has been around for decades and has been used in almost everything. This oil is not just for cars; synthetic oil is used for daily-driver, high-performance vehicles and even jets!.
Yes; I’m not kidding you. Jets and other high-performance require synthetic oil. In fact, no other engine oil has been able to compete with synthetic over the years. We will talk about the difference between synthetic oil versus conventional engine oils later in this post.
The second type of oil is called Conventional oil. This brand of oil is also a lubricant derived from crude oil. Thanks to its excellent properties; Conventional motor oil is able to provide lubricant at high temperatures.
Conventional oil is also capable of maintaining its stability for a very long period of time. In fact, Synthetic oil begins its life as Conventional oil and was later modified to enhance its protective and lubricant properties.
HYBRID FORMULA OIL
Hybrid Formula diesel oil is another type of oil, second to the full Synthetic oil. It’s one of the most popular engine oil in the market. This brand is made up of conventional and synthetic ingredients so it offers both benefits.
Top Brands – Best Diesel Engine Oil
11. ACDelco Professional Motor Oil
ACDelco oil is formulated with a premium mineral-based solution and provides protection against high-temperature deposits as well as the formulation of sludge and varnish deposits to keep your engine running clean. This oil also provides engine cleanliness by controlling thermal breakdown under normal driving conditions. ACDelco motor oil meets US standards along with energy-conserving performance standards.
- Formulated to meet industry specifications for U.S., European, and Asian vehicle manufacturers to be applicable for use in a wide range of vehicle makes and models
- Provides protection against high-temperature deposits to help minimize engine wear
- Produce exceptional low-temperature flow and pump the ability to help minimize friction and wear on engine start-up in cold weather
- Gives maximum protection against viscosity breakdown to help with oil life and drain intervals
10. STP Motor Oiltor Oil
STP Motor Oil is scientifically formulated to insulate your engine from the damaging effects of wear. This Oil may not be a popular oil brand, but it offers high-quality engine oil at affordable pricing. This oil provides excellent engine cleanliness through superior sludge and varnish protection. It offers outstanding high-temperature protection under severe driving conditions and superior cold-temperature protection through faster oil flow at start-up. This oil helps to reduce harmful piston deposits leading to ring sticking and protect against the harmful effect of rust and corrosion.
- scientifically formulated to insulate your engine from the damaging effects of wear
- Help reduce engine wear while maintaining fuel economy
- Controls sludge formation and cleans key engine components
- Protects against the harmful effects of rust and corrosion
- Features a wider, easy to pour spout
9. Formula Shell Motor Oil
Formula Shell Motor Oil exceeds all automobile and light truck requirements for gasoline and turbocharged engines. From one oil change duration to the second oil change duration, your engine will run smoothly and efficiently. This oil is formulated for improved fuel economy and to provide engine protection and performance required by modern engines. Formula shell motor oil provides a high level of protection against wear, rust, and corrosion, piston scuffing and combustion chamber deposits, high-temperature oxidation, and valve train wear.
- Provides protection for extremely high temperatures
- Aid in protection against harmful deposits and acids to keep your engine clean and long-lasting.
- Protection against Low-speed Pre-ignition for modern turbocharged engines.
- It May be used at any time in an engine’s life-cycle and is fully compatible with conventional engine oils.
8. Lucas Oil Hot Rod & Classic Motor Oil
Lucas Hot Rod & Classic Car Motor Oil is formulated with the highest quality paraffinic base oils. This oil provides a tougher, thicker additive oil film for maximum protection in any driving conditions. This high-performance oil also improves the film strength between the cylinder wall and piston rings, which slows oil burning and improves pressure in worn engines. This oil keeps flowing in cold temperatures and protects against high temperatures.
- Thermal stability lowers oil temperature to keep your motor running strong
- Extends oil life so you don’t need to change your motor oil as frequently
- Minimizes metal fatigue so parts don’t wear out as fast
- Compatible with methanol and all racing fuels, as well as synthetic and non-synthetic oils
- Improves pressure in worn engines, like those found in classic vintage cars
- Contains high levels of zinc to protect tappet cams, filters, and pushrods
- Additives protect against rust and corrosion
7. Pennzoil Motor Oil
Pennzoil is the first motor oil made from natural gas, not crude. Base oil made from natural gas is 99.5% free of impurities typically found in crude oil. This engine oil provides better wear protection than other leading engine oils for your engine. Pennzoil engine oil helps protect engines from loss of power and provides better fuel economy. This oil protects against abnormal combustion phenomena as low-speed pre-ignition observed in modern turbocharged gasoline direct injection (TGDI) engines.
- Full synthetic engine oil made from natural gas, not crude, using Pennzoil’s patented gas-to-liquid PurePlus Technology
- Pennzoil Platinum keeps pistons up to 45% cleaner than the toughest industry standard.
- No other leading synthetic oil provides better wear protection from friction.
- Formulated to provide faster low-temperature oil flow and protection in extreme heat
- Helps protect engines from loss of power
6. Havoline Motor Oil
Havoline motor oil is a premium synthetic technology oil with Deposit Shield® Technology. This engine oil is specially designed for high-mileage engines or vehicles of any age. Manufactured with seal conditioning agents and extra cleaning and anti-wear additives compared to conventional oil, to help extend the life of engines, particularly in severe driving conditions.
- Protection against thermal breakdown
- Excellent anti-wear protection
- Clean engines and clean positive crankcase ventilation systems resulting from minimal deposit formation under heavy load and stop-and-go driving conditions
5. AmazonBasics Motor Oil
This engine oil is a fully synthetic lubricant that can be used in any modern vehicle engine. This oil has the best protection rating with well-known brands such as Castrol & Red Line. The Amazonbasics motor oil is more advanced than high-performance engine lubricants and budget-friendly.
- Helps prevent build-up that can cause rust and corrosion
- Reduces friction for less engine wear
- High resistance to viscosity and thermal breakdown
- Helps reduce exhaust emissions
4. Quaker State Advanced Durability Motor Oil
The Quaker State Advanced Durability Motor Oil provides advanced durability and protection for your engine. This engine oil is tested for protection from stop-and-go traffic, idling, and high temperatures. Quaker engine oil provides 2x wear protection than industry standards and protects against the effects of low-speed pre-ignition in a modern turbocharged engine.
- Provides 2x more wear protection than industry standard throughout the life of the engine oil.
- Helps engines survive daily commutes from high-speed highway operation to repetitive, stop-and-go driving.
- This Quaker State motor oil helps protect against the effects of low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI) in modern turbocharged engines.
- Maintains viscosity from start to finish, providing optimal oil film protection
3. Valvoline Daily Protection: Third best diesel engine oil
Valvoline Daily Protection Motor Oil is specially engineered to exceed industry standards for wear, deposit, and sludge protection for your vehicle engine and helps it to keep running like new. Manufactured with high-quality premium base oils and additives to flow easily, even at cold temperatures, reducing wear at engine startup and providing superior protection against motor oil breakdown in tough driving conditions. It enhances your fuel efficiency, enhances daily protection.
- Extra wear protection designed to keep engine parts like new
- Added detergents help protect against sludge and deposits
- High-quality additives resist motor oil breakdown in tough conditions
- The low-friction formula supports strong fuel efficiency
2. Castrol GTX: 2nd best diesel engine oil
Castrol GTX motor oil from the leading lubricant brand, Castrol is the one of best engine oils for your vehicle. This engine oil is a perfect choice for your vehicle during city driving. You may not know that bumper-to-bumper traffic is bad for your vehicle engine, Castrol comes as resolution. When you use Castrol, the intelligent molecules of the oil can cling and form a self-healing layer to reduce the wear of the engine parts in the stop-start operation.
- Castrol GTX motor oil is good in petrol engines where the manufacturer recommends an API SL or earlier specification.
- Superior protection against engine sludge and extended engine life span.
- Advanced protection against viscosity and thermal breakdown.
- Premium-quality base oils and anti-wear additives to extend the engine’s life span.
- This engine oil minimizes oil consumption.
1. MOBIL 1 synthetic: Top best diesel engine oil
Mobil 1™ is the world’s leading synthetic engine oil brand for your engine’s high performance and lifespan. This engine oil is formulated for the latest gasoline and diesel (without Diesel Particulate Filters or DPFs) engine technology for ultimate engine performance and protection. This engine oil offers exceptional cleaning power, wear protection, and all-around performance. Mobil 1 synthetic engine oil keeps your engine running like the new engine in all driving conditions.
- Compile all the latest OEM (Original Equipment manufacturer) and industry approvals
- Ultimate engine performance and protection.
- Excellent low-temperature capabilities for rapid engine protection at start-up
- Enhanced frictional properties that aid fuel economy.
- Provides protection for reduced engine wear and deposits even in the most extreme driving conditions.
- Provides exceptional cleaning power for dirty engines
Hello! My name is Jeff! I’m a full-time blogger! And I must say I love every moment of it because sharing things is my game. With over seven years of experience in the blogging industry, I love to share my experience with the world and work closely with anyone who needs a guide.